Saturday, April 25, 2009

Recipes | Chicken Noodle Soup



This is my Mennonite Gramma's Chicken Noodle Soup and it is pretty much liquid gold. It bears no resemblance to the sad stuff you get in a can. It's the only thing I love when I'm sick and I swear I feel better just inhaling the steam. It's the most comforting food I know. This is also one of the only recipes I have that I don't mess with. My mom does. And her soup is excellent. But it's not my Gramma's. There's just something about this soup...

Ingredients
1 whole chicken

10-12 whole peppercorns
1 bay leaf
2 pieces star anise

1 small onion, minced
3-4 sprigs parsley

Salt

3/4 cup broad egg noodles



Directions:
1) Cook the chicken down into broth, I describe in more detail here. You need the strained broth with the meat shredded into it. You could use store bought broth and chicken pieces, but it won't be nearly as good.

2) Put peppercorns, bay leaf and star anise into a spice ball or cheesecloth. Add the spices, onion and parsley to the broth.

3) Simmer for 1-2 hours. Salt to taste. Taste and see if you need to add a bit of water, depending on how concentrated your broth became.

4) Boil noodles separately. I made homemade egg noodles for this, it's pretty easy and makes the soup even more amazing.

5) To serve, put some noodles in the bottom of each bowl, then pour the soup over top.

Best eaten with warm cheesy biscuits. Mmmmm.

I'm so glad that I make my own now, when I was stealing from my mom I would have to ration it, so that I would always have some when I was sick. Feels good to have 9 more jars in my pantry where this one came from!