Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Tips | Sun Tea



As soon as it gets sunny out it's Sun Tea time around here! Why not just make normal iced tea? Here's why:

1) I am lazy. And sun tea is the easiest thing ever.

2) It never gets bitter because it warms up slowly and doesn't boil, so it takes less sweetening.

3) Did I mention that I'm lazy?

Here's what you do. Get a big 1 gallon jar. I think mine was a pickle jar. I don't remember where I got it. Maybe my mom got it? Maybe I harassed someone at a sandwich shop? I don't know. Anyway, get your jar and add 4 tea bags. Any kind you like, that's the fun part. This batch was half peppermint and half jasmine. Fill the jar with water and set it in the sun for...a couple hours maybe. You can't over steep it, so just leave it for a bit. Then when you bring it in, remove the teabags and add some melted honey, to taste. We dont like it super sweet, but we like a bit of honey. Mix it all up and stick it in the fridge to cool.

Voila, perfect summer drink! Makes me think of picnics and BBQ's. Or just just everyday, because that's how much we drink it.

As a side note, it was sunny today but I didn't make tea. Because it was pouring rain at the same time. Pretty!