Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Recipes | Peaches and Cream Steel Cut Oats



I grew up fairly indifferent to oatmeal. Then after getting into backpacking I had a love for instant oatmeal (my mother is gagging right now). Peaches and cream being one of my favourite flavours. Well this morning we had peaches and cream oatmeal stepped up a notch.

Steel cut oats are oats that are just cut in half. To make rolled oats they steam and press them flat. This makes them faster to cook. To make them even faster they just repeat the process. Thus instant oatmeal is a whole grain. Technically, because the whole grain is there. Steel cut oats are however a much less processed whole grain. They take longer to cook and don't turn into a gluey mush. I've heard them compared to risotto and that's fairly accurate. There's something to chew.

I usually start them simmering and then go have a shower, when I'm done I throw in whatever I'm flavouring with and then cook for a couple more minutes (while getting dressed usually). Then we scoop them out and add some milk. They reheat amazingly well, so I always make lots and keep some in the fridge.



Here's what I made today:

Peaches and Cream Steel Cut Oats
1)In a medium pot bring 1 1/2 cups steel cut oats, 3 cups water and a couple pinches of salt to a boil.

2) Throw in a couple tablespoons of chopped candied ginger (optional...I just felt like ginger). Turn down to a simmer and let it go for 25 mintues (ish).

3) Add 1 cup chopped canned peaches and 1/2 cup of the peach juice. Continue cooking for 10 minutes or until you like the consistency (it's not rocket science, unless you scorch it you can't really overcook it).

4) Scoop into 4 bowls and top with chopped pecans and whole milk. You won't need sugar because the peaches sweeten it up.